Trip Summary: 6 days on the Mountain
Tentative Schedule: Friday of every week except during April and May
THIS ROUTE HAS A MODERATE SLOPE, making it less difficult to climb. It is the most popular way up Kilimanjaro and is the only route with emergency evacuation service. It is also the only route offering dormitory style huts with dining rooms.
|Day 1||Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, transfer to accommodation in Arusha; Planet Lodge|
|Day 2||After breakfast, drive to Marangu gate and spend about two hours there for registration, payment of fees and final parking. From there we start the climb through dense semi-tropical forest to Mandara hut (9,000 ft) where we will have dinner and spend the night ~ B, L, D|
|Day 3||After breakfast, we ascend through the alpine meadow, grassland and moorland to Horombo hut (12,000 ft). Both Mawenzi and Kibo peaks can easily be viewed on the way. There we will have dinner and stay overnight ~ B, L, D|
|Day 4||We spend the day acclimatizing at Horombo by hiking to the nearby Mawenzi and surrounding area then return to the hut for a hot lunch ~ B, L, D|
|Day 5||After breakfast, we ascend further to Kibo hut (15,000 ft) where the landscape becomes very stony and eroded, and features spectacular mountain vegetation like giant cactus, groundswell and lobelia along the way. We dine and overnight at Kibo hut ~ B, L, D|
|Day 6||We wake up at midnight and, after a snack, proceed to the summit through Gilman’s Point (18,640 ft). It is about 5 – 6 hours from Kibo Hut to Gilman’s Point and 1 – 2 hours from Gilman’s Point to Uhuru Peak (19,340 ft). After reaching the peak in the early morning, the descent starts after picture taking on the top. We arrive at Kibo hut for lunch and a short break. Later we head to Horombo Hut for dinner and overnight ~ B, L, D|
|Day 7||After breakfast, we descend from Horombo hut to Marangu gate. From there a waiting car will take you to Planet Lodge ~ B, L|
|Day 8||Transfer to the airport for your return flight ~ B|
|Route waypoints||Time (approx)|
|Marangu Gate – Mandara Hut||3 – 4 hrs|
|Mandara Hut – Horombo Hut||5 – 6 hrs|
|Horombo Hut – Kibo Hut||5 – 6 hrs|
|Kibo Hut – Gilman’s Point||5 – 6 hrs|
|Gilman’s Point – Uhuru Peak||1 – 2 hrs|
|Item / Years||2016||2017|
|Prices (in USD)||$ 2,150||$ 2,215|
|Cost for adding an extra day on trek||$ 270||$ 270|
|Dates… varies, contact us for more info|
For guests who prefer to arrive a day earlier, we recommend a day trip to Arusha National Park for a game drive and hiking for the extra cost of $230/person, including the additional hotel night in Arusha.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Kilimanjaro International Airport, as well as free shuttle transfer, Nairobi – Arusha – Nairobi, if flying to/from Nairobi.
- Accommodation in mountain huts or mountain tents with mattresses; we use the highest quality of expedition tents by Eureka or Mountain Hardware.
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- All park fees, including mountain rescue fees, government taxes, and all applicable fees and taxes
- Services of a professional leading guide who is medically trained, certified, licensed, and English speaking
- Dining tent on the trek for meals
- Services of English-speaking assistant guide(s), a skilled cook, and enough porters for a guest’s luggage, food, water, and dinning tent
- Transport back and forth from your hotel and the mountain
- Use of radios/phones to increase your safety
- Items of personal nature such as passport, visa, traveler’s insurance, medical evacuation insurance ($50 value)
- Tips to guides and porters
- International airfare (unless explicitly stated)
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics, etc)
Good Earth Tours
…the Perfect African Adventure with YOU in Mind!