Trip Summary: 6 days on the Mountain
Arrival Day (Day 1) is … every Wednesday and Friday, except April and May
THIS IS THE SECOND MOST POPULAR ROUTE and is considered the most beautiful route up Kilimanjaro. With a gradual ascent through the forest you emerge to see wide views of the moorland on Shira Plateau, Kibo and Western Breach. The variety of vegetation found along the route make it the most scenic route. For a slightly more technical climb on Kilimanjaro, one can conquer Uhuru peak from Arrow Glacier camp, but a less challenging route can be taken from Barranco hut.
|Day 1||Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport. You’ll be met upon arrival and transferred to your hotel in Arusha; Planet Lodge|
|Day 2||After breakfast, we drive from Arusha to Machame Gate (About 45 minutes). After registering and paying park fees, we start climbing along a clear trail through plantation and natural forest, and then follow a narrow forest path to the Machame Camp (9,000 ft) ~ B, L, D|
|Day 3||Today we ascend through the forest and along a steep ridge passing through heather and open moorlands. From there we cross a large gorge to Shira Camp (12,600 ft). This part of the trek is about 5~6 hours ~ B, L, D|
|Day 4||After breakfast, we will ascend to Lava Tower (15,180 ft) with lunch on the way to Barranco, and then descend into Barranco Camp (12,850 ft) for dinner and an overnight stay ~ B, L, D|
|Day 5||This morning, we leave for Barafu Camp (14,910 ft) where we pass through the last water drop at Karanga Valley on the way up. We overnight at Barafu Camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 6||We wake up at midnight and, after a small snack, ascend to Uhuru Peak through the Stella Point (18,640 ft). After reaching the summit, we head down to Mweka Camp (10,010 ft) for dinner and overnight stay ~ B, L, D|
|Day 7||After breakfast, we head down to Mweka Gate with lunch packet, a waiting vehicle will take you to Planet Lodge ~ B, L|
|Day 8||Transfer to the airport for your return flight, or proceed onto a safari with us!|
|Item / Years||2017||2018|
|Prices (in USD)||$ 2,255||$ 2,335|
|Cost for adding an extra day on trek||$ 270||$ 270|
|Dates: every week except in April and May|
For guests who prefer to arrive a day earlier, we recommend a day trip to Arusha National Park for a game drive and hiking for the extra cost of $230/person, including the additional hotel night in Arusha.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Kilimanjaro International Airport, as well as free shuttle transfer, Nairobi – Arusha – Nairobi, if flying to/from Nairobi.
- Accommodation in mountain huts or mountain tents with mattresses; we use the highest quality of expedition tents by Eureka or Mountain Hardware.
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- All park fees, including mountain rescue fees, government taxes, and all applicable fees and taxes
- Services of a professional leading guide who is medically trained, certified, licensed, and English speaking
- Dining tent on the trek for meals
- Services of English-speaking assistant guide(s), a skilled cook, and enough porters for a guest’s luggage, food, water, and dinning tent
- Transport back and forth from your hotel and the mountain
- Use of radios/phones to increase your safety
- Items of personal nature such as passport, visa, traveler’s insurance, medical evacuation insurance ($50 value)
- Tips to guides and porters
- International airfare (unless explicitly stated)
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics, etc)
Good Earth Tours
…the Perfect African Adventure with YOU in Mind!