Trip Summary: 7 days on the Mountain
|Day 1||Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, transfer to accommodation in Arusha; Planet Lodge|
|Day 2||After breakfast, we drive to the Londorosi gate for a few minutes of registration and other formalities. The 4WD will take you further up to Lemosho Glades, after which you will walk for about 4 hours to Mti Mkubwa Campsite (9,200 ft) for dinner and overnight at the camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 3||After breakfast, we leave for Shira Plateau (11,550 ft), walking through the moorland’s steepening track. Dinner and overnight at Shira I Camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 4||Today we continue to hike across the high desert to Shira II Camp (12,220 ft), with significant acclimatization effect as we go up the mountain ~ B, L, D|
|Day 5||After breakfast, we leave for Barranco Camp (13,100 ft) and spend the night there ~ B, L, D|
|Day 6||After breakfast, we leave for Barafu Camp (14,910 ft). We pass through the last water drop at Karanga Valley on the way up. Overnight at Barafu Camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 7||Wake up at midnight and after a small snack, ascend to Uhuru Peak through the Stella Point (18,640 ft). After reaching the summit, we will head down to Mweka Camp (10,100 ft) for dinner and overnight ~ B, L, D|
|Day 8||After breakfast, we head down to Mweka Gate with a lunch packet where a vehicle waiting will take you to Planet Lodge ~ B, L|
|Day 9||Transfer to the airport for your return flight ~ B|
|Route waypoints||Time (approx)|
|Londorosi – Mti Mkubwa Campsite||3 – 4 hrs|
|Mti Mkubwa Campsite – Shira I Camp||5 – 6 hrs|
|Shira I Camp – Shira II Camp||4 – 6 hrs|
|Shira II Camp – Barranco Camp||6 – 7 hrs|
|Barranco Camp – Barafu Camp||6 – 7 hrs|
|Barafu Camp – Uhuru Peak||6 – 8 hrs|
|Mweka Camp – Mweka Gate||3 – 4 hrs|
|Item / Years||2016||2017|
|Prices (in USD)||$ 2,535||$ 2,610|
|Cost for adding an extra day on trek||$ 270||$ 270|
|Dates: every week except in April and May; some restrictions may apply|
For guests who prefer to arrive a day earlier, we recommend a day trip to Arusha National Park for a game drive and hiking for the extra cost of $250/person, including the additional hotel night in Arusha.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Kilimanjaro International Airport, as well as free shuttle transfer, Nairobi – Arusha – Nairobi, if flying to/from Nairobi.
- Accommodation in mountain huts or mountain tents with mattresses; we use the highest quality of expedition tents by Eureka or Mountain Hardware.
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- All park fees, including mountain rescue fees, government taxes, and all applicable fees and taxes
- Services of a professional leading guide who is medically trained, certified, licensed, and English speaking
- Dining tent on the trek for meals
- Services of English-speaking assistant guide(s), a skilled cook, and enough porters for a guest’s luggage, food, water, and dinning tent
- Transport back and forth from your hotel and the mountain
- Use of radios/phones to increase your safety
- Items of personal nature such as passport, visa, traveler’s insurance, medical evacuation insurance ($50 value)
- Tips to guides and porters
- International airfare (unless explicitly stated)
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics, etc)
Good Earth Tours
…the Perfect African Adventure with YOU in Mind!